Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Hall Of Famer Jim Brown Rejects Media Race-Baiting

"I'm not a victim. I can vote, I can participate, I can invest my money, I can invest my time, and that's what I'm doing."

In an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper, Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown discussed his meeting with Donald Trump.

Cooper started off trying to bait Brown into a conversation about race by asking his opinion on Trump’s comments regarding problems in African American communities.
Brown avoided discussing race, instead replying with…
For years the Presidency has been like a smooth ride and nothing dramatic has happened, but with him every day is full of energy, things are going to happen.
Next, Anderson mentioned that Brown supported Clinton early on and how many Democrats were upset about the election results, even depressed.
The CNN host then asked why Brown was still open to working with Trump rather than being upset.
Brown responded by saying that in his opinion, “Those who go against the election are going against America” and explained how, “If we respect the winner and approach or have access to that person, then he can look at what we’re presenting, and that’s not too bad.”
I could have sat on my butt and complained when Hillary lost, but you see one thing about this country is if you get off your butt and apply yourself, you can be successful.
Cooper went on to ask Brown if the predominantly white male cabinet chosen by Trump was a concern to him.
A lot of black people in my community might think I’m a sellout for saying this. The three greatest people in my life were white…and so I’m not a person that really deals in color. I recognize certain equities that certain cultures have to go through, I understand the history of slavery, I know all of those things, but I’m not a victim. I can vote, I can participate, I can invest my money, I can invest my time and that’s what I’m doing. I’m not working for anybody or making any money making what I’m doing, I’m doing it because someone did it for me.
In a similar segment with CNN Brown was again asked if Trump’s cabinet choices were troubling to him.
He replied in similar fashion, shutting down the network’s attempt at race-baiting by stating, “I have lived all my life in America and I’m eighty years old, so I’ve seen discrimination at its worst… I never really had a father, but it was in this country where I got help from people who were not of my same color. When I come out of the box, I don’t come out racial, I look for good people who are like-minded and want to do good for other human beings.”


No comments:

Post a Comment